[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Week of 27 June 2011< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Thompson Search for posts by this member.
Administrator - Owner

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011,07:19  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Comments on my weekly journal page for 27 June 2011 go in this thread.

--------------
Robert Bruce Thompson
webmaster@ttgnet.com
http://www.ttgnet.com/thisweek.html
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Dave Browning Search for posts by this member.
Subscriber

Group: Patron Subscribers
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011,08:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have experimented with WordPress a couple of times, but haven't taken to blogging like you have.  

I'll state a few things which you almost certainly already know, but I'm going to state them anyway.  Be sure to keep the copy of WordPress on your site up to date.  Also be sure to keep an up to date copy of the database WordPress uses backed up somewhere safe.  Along with any changes you make to the WordPress Theme you use.

If you're going to allow comments, I highly recommend the Akismet anti-spam plugin.

That said, I look forward to the change.
 Post Number: 3
Administrator - Owner

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011,08:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. I've already updated to the current WP version and installed Akismet. I'm pretty good about backing up, so I'm sure I'll develop a procedure for backing up the database and other stuff at least daily.

--------------
Robert Bruce Thompson
webmaster@ttgnet.com
 Post Number: 4
Subscriber

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011,08:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One other thing I'll suggest is that you come up with categories for your posts so that readers that are interested in a particular subject area can read about that.  For example, if someone wants to read all of your posts about electronic publishing, science, or whatever else, they can easily do so.  Categorization strikes me as one of the advantages of a WordPress type blog, and I don't think I've effectively used it when I have dabbled with WordPress.
 Post Number: 5
MrAtoz Search for posts by this member.

Group: Subscribers
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011,10:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Thompson @ Jun. 27 2011,08:23)
Thanks. I've already updated to the current WP version and installed Akismet. I'm pretty good about backing up, so I'm sure I'll develop a procedure for backing up the database and other stuff at least daily.

Bob,

I left a comment on the new site.  Is it going to be open posting or will you eventually require a login?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 6
BGrigg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011,10:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like open, but moderated comments, and my current login doesn't work on the new site. I expect that will change on July 1.
 Post Number: 7
Chuck Waggoner Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011,10:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does this mean the message board is history?
 Post Number: 8
Administrator - Owner

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011,12:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did the cut-over to the new site sooner than I expected to.

Right now, comments are moderated for first-time posters, but once I approve a comment, that person can subsequently post additional comments without moderation. Brian Bilbrey is encouraging me to implement a comment registration system to cut down on spam, and I will do that as soon as he tells me which one to install.

The accounts here will not carry over to the WP site, but I'll easily recognize all the regular posters here, so you should be approved as soon as you post a comment on the WP site. If/when I implement comment registration, I'm sure it'll be a simple matter of entering that information once to get registered and then allowing WP to set a cookie.

Yes, this forum is now, if not dead, at least on life support. At some point I'll probably disable new comments on it, if only to avoid having one more site to check.

--------------
Robert Bruce Thompson
webmaster@ttgnet.com
 Post Number: 9
Chuck Waggoner Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011,12:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to see it go.  The one thing this forum encouraged, that I felt was wonderful, was the ability for it to go off on useful tangents--sometimes totally unrelated to the day's posting, but relevant to my life and work.  I doubt that weekly foray will continue--at least it doesn't happen with Jeff D.'s Wordpress site.

As far as the new site goes, the first thing I notice is that the page will not scale down to the window size I use for most of my reading.  Here, I can set they type size I want, then reduced the window size to just about anything, and the type re-flows.  The new site stops re-flowing at a window size that is a good 1/3 bigger than what I really want.
 Post Number: 10
Subscriber

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011,12:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck Waggoner @ Jun. 27 2011,13:21)
Sorry to see it go.  The one thing this forum encouraged, that I felt was wonderful, was the ability for it to go off on useful tangents--sometimes totally unrelated to the day's posting, but relevant to my life and work.  I doubt that weekly foray will continue--at least it doesn't happen with Jeff D.'s Wordpress site.

As far as the new site goes, the first thing I notice is that the page will not scale down to the window size I use for most of my reading.  Here, I can set they type size I want, then reduced the window size to just about anything, and the type re-flows.  The new site stops re-flowing at a window size that is a good 1/3 bigger than what I really want.

I think the change to WordPress is all in all a welcome one, however, I must agree with Chuck that I will also miss the tangents which are frequently found in the comments thread.

If I might be so bold as to make a suggestion, other bloggers periodically make an "Open Thread" post soliciting such tangent comments when they are going to be deeply involved with other things.
13 replies since Jun. 27 2011,07:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Week of 27 June 2011
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code