» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hydrogen peroxide question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SVTarHeel Search for posts by this member.
Subscriber

Group: Subscribers
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2011,23:37  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At the risk of setting myself up for potshots, I'll readily admit to being one of the people who despised chemistry as a class.  I told people at the time, "I'm very glad that both sides of the equation balance but I have no interest in finding out how or why."  I loved anatomy and biology and would have considered med school except for the chemistry allergy.

That being said, I'm wondering if there's any reason not to combine partial bottles of 3% hydrogen peroxide.  In fixing a leak, I ran across a couple of partial bottles under the sink and would prefer to consolidate things if that's not problematic for some reason.

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best,
JEFF

--------------
JEFF
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Thompson Search for posts by this member.
Administrator - Owner

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2011,06:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing bad will happen, but hydrogen peroxide breaks down over time into water and oxygen gas, so it's possible that your old open bottles are no longer as concentrated as they were. Drugstore hydrogen peroxide has stabilizers added, so you'll probably be okay. If when you unscrew the cap you hear pressure released, discard the contents.

--------------
Robert Bruce Thompson
webmaster@ttgnet.com
http://www.ttgnet.com/thisweek.html
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Jim Cooley Search for posts by this member.
Subscriber

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2011,00:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bob, this is a good place as any to thank you for the tip regarding freezing  hydrogen peroxide and decanting the dilutent (?) to yield a solution greater than 3%.

Cryptosporidium is really hard to kill, esp. the spores, but in my research I found one way to do it is a mixture of 6% H2O2 and methanol, IIRC.

My ferrets had an outbreak of some diarrheal disease and tested positive via gene (Elisa?) for crypto and I had to go in and disinfect everything. Turned out it was an unannounced food reformulation which caused the hershey squirts, but I tried my best with 3%...

--------------
Warning: Disclaimer applies
 Post Number: 4
SVTarHeel Search for posts by this member.
Subscriber

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2011,02:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Thompson @ Jun. 21 2011,07:26)
Nothing bad will happen, but hydrogen peroxide breaks down over time into water and oxygen gas, so it's possible that your old open bottles are no longer as concentrated as they were.

Thanks for the info. Jim's post about freezing makes me think - any better way to store than under the counter?

As an aside, I've been trying to keep my eye out for what looks like recently stocked bleach since reading your post about the experiment yielding unexpected results.

--------------
JEFF
 Post Number: 5
Don Armstrong Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2011,05:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just buy swimming pool shock. Mix up a little to bleach strength whenever you need it.
4 replies since Jun. 20 2011,23:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hydrogen peroxide question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code